July 2014 in Nairobi – Winter is here! And what better way to ease the cold weather than to enjoy some of the country’s best locations with a loved one. “Kenya is full of diversity in its landscapes and whether you are looking for a romantic place to celebrate a wedding, an anniversary or make a proposal during a week-end on the coast, in a National Park or near Nairobi, you will always find glamorous options on http://www.jovago.com/ says Estelle Verdier-Watine, the Managing Director of East Africa’s leading online portal, JOVAGO. Here are some of these wonderful locations for both local and international residents to visit and enjoy this season.
1) The Maji Boutique – located along the south coast 5km from Ukunda, this hotel has great accommodation and has both an indoor and outdoor pool for couples who’d like to enjoy the cool waters and the coastal breeze. They have a wonderful balcony overlooking the ocean and this further enhances the romantic ambiance from the spacious hotel rooms or from the restaurant. Children are not allowed.
2) The Kicheche camp (Masaai Mara) – There are many reasons why this hotel is a haven of romance; there is a wonderful spa, it only has 8 tents for you and your loved one so intimacy is guaranteed and couples can wake up to the wonderful view of the Rift Valley, making it the perfect place to rekindle or start love. The Loita herd is known to move around this time of the year which is also a breathtaking sight.
3) Kilili Baharini (Malindi) – For memorable sunsets and walks along the beach then, Kilili Baharini is the place to be. The surrounding environment is filled with nature’s awesomeness and makes it the perfect combination of land and sea. Couples can also try out the spa or try the hot tub and steam bath. Kilili is a tropical resort located in Malindi town in the Coastal region.
4) Sands at Chale Island (Diani) –This is a rich and historic romantic destination located at the south coast and is a wonderful combination of lovely sunsets, Jacuzzi’s and great service from the hospitality team that further enhance the entire experience. Chale is a private island with a stunning white beach fringed by coral reefs and the forest and wildlife reserve that is surrounded by a Mangrove forest.
5) Chui Lodge (Naivasha) – Chui Lodge is easily accessible from Nairobi by road in about one and half hours along the Nairobi – Nakuru highway. Set in a privately owned Oserian Wildlife sanctuary, this exquisite paradise overlooks a water hole with the dramatic Mau Escarpment and has just 8 Cottages thereby ensuring superb personal service for you and your loved one.
6) Saruni Samburu (Samburu) – Known for its luxurious roomsand cottages with bold African designed interiors, couples are welcomed with a bottle of Cherry in each room and each cottage has its own dining area thus creating the perfect environment for privacy and romance. Built on the Kalama Wildlife Conservancy, guests can view the vast landscape from the restaurant while enjoying a scrumptious meal from the dining and lounge area making it an intimate experience for two.
7) Desert Rose Lodge (Mt. Nyiru) – Located on the slopes of Mt Nyiru between Maralal and Lake Turkana in Northern Kenya, this hotel isa wonderful remote destination for couples who would like to participate in outdoor activities such as hiking on the ‘Safaricom Rock’ or if they’d like to ride down the ‘lugga’ (natural water slide). Desert Rose has 6 rooms and can provide accommodation for up to 12 people who can share the common area.
8) The Majilis (Lamu) This gorgeous Island resort in Lamu is perfect for anyone who wants to create a memorable wedding or honeymoon experience for themselves and their guests. The Majilis management can organize your wedding ceremony on the beach or on the beautiful mangrove pontoon. The restaurant is known for its famous cuisine that varies from Italian to Swahili dishes; they also have a delicious a-la-carte menu for both internal and external guests.
9) Jambo Laikipia Camp: Set on a magnificent ridge in the OlPejeta Conversancy is Jambo Laikipia tented Camp, overlooking the beautiful hills of Nanyuki. Set in a farmland, the Hotel is ideal for all nature lovers. Housing a total of 17 tented camps, all Tents are designed to exude a natural yet modern feel needed for utmost relaxation.
10) Mara West Camp, Masai Mara–is located within the Maasai Mara ecosystem and nestled against a wooded thicket surrounded by the savannah. Nature lovers will be pleased with this choice as a romantic destination as they have honeymoon suites that overlook the Mara triangle and the National park. The suites come with out-door showers where residents can enjoy the view of the Valley – and this is no ordinary Valley – this is the famous location is where the renowned ‘Out of Africa’ was shot and the grounds are well maintained.
For more recommendations on holiday destinations this season go to www.jovago.com.