The other month the Photographers Association of Kenya together with PAWA 254 launched the 3rd edition of Kenya Photography Awards. This is in recognition of talent, skill and the sheer hard work that both upcoming and professional photographers are doing to capture the country in all its beauty.
As of today, 33 photographers have been nominated to be in the finalist list of nominees for the awards. There were 1607 entries submitted since the submission phase was announced, upto April 30th 2016.
The judges were heavyweights in the photography world. They were led by Gary Knight, a British photographer and past chairman of World Press Photo Awards. He’s also the co-founder of the VII photo agency. He was in the country purposely to oversee the judging process.
The winners of the awards will not go home empty handed. Category winners will walk away with Kshs.50,000 while runners up will take home Kshs.200,000. The overall winner will take home an additional Kshs.200,000.
Here is the full list of nominees in the nine categories.
- News: Phoebe Okall, Kevin Onnoka and Daniel Mwangi Irungu
- Daily life: Adam Mower, Georgina Goodwin and Migwi Nthiga
- Sports: Thomas Mukoya, Suleiman Mbatiah and Larry Asego
- Nature: Sebastian Wanzalla, Mwangi Kirubi, Abdul Rahman Mutuma and Georgina Goodwin
- Portraiture: Brian Mwando, John Wambugu, Richard Allela, Selina Onyando, Migwa Nthiga and Joe Were
- Creative:Joseph Kyule, Iteba Alloys, Jared Maina and Larry Asego
- Most Promising Young photographer of the year: Kevin Kariuki, Churchill Oele, Peter Ndungu and Patrick Kamau
- People’s Choice Nominees:Adam Mower, Richard Allela, Brian Mwando, Joseph Kyule, Kevin Kariuki and Peter Ndungu.
For the second year running, Canon is the main sponsor for the Photography Awards. The company will be proving workshops for all the nominees.